We all think we’re good drivers, that we know the rules of the road. You may be a new driver or you may have had your license for many years, but you might be surprised to learn that your driving habits may be unsafe. So take this short, simple quiz and find out if you’re a safe driver or if you need a refresher course.
Answers are found at the bottom of the quiz.
1. What is considered a safe amount to exceed the speed limit?
a) 0 mph
b) 5 mph
c) 10 mph
d) 15 mph
2. What is the best way to avoid cell phone distractions while driving?
a) Call friends and tell them you are driving
b) Turn your phone off while driving
c) Answer only important calls and texts
d) Talk on your cell using hands free technology
3. You are driving on a 2 lane road with a solid double line. When is it safe to pass another vehicle?
a) When the vehicle in front of you has its hazard lights blinking
b) When the vehicle in front of you is travelling under the speed limit
c) You may not pass another car
d) When there’s no one in the on-coming lane
4. When another driver is tailgating you, you should:
a) Speed up
b) Tap your brakes and slow down to show the other driver who is boss
c) Slow down and change lanes to let the other car pass
d) Honk and gesture for the other driver to slow down
5. If you feel yourself getting tired while driving, you should:
a) Roll down the window to get some fresh air
b) Pull over and assess your options to safely get to your destination
c) Turn the volume on the radio up and sing along
d) Call a friend to keep you awake
6. Which of the following are considered distracted driving?
b) Talking on your cell phone
c) Changing radio stations
d) All of the above
7. When confronted by an aggressive driver, you should:
a) Pull off the road and stop
b) Avoid eye contact
c) Honk and gesture
d) Speed up to get away from the other driver
8. What does a yellow traffic light really mean?
a) Slow down
c) Stop if it’s safe to do so
d) Speed up and beat the red light
9. You should check your rear view mirror:
a) Every 5 to 8 seconds
b) To check your make-up and hair
c) When you think there may be a problem behind you
d) After you apply your brakes
10. When approaching a Yield sign, you must:
a) Stop and proceed when clear
b) Slow down and proceed when clear
c) Look left and right and proceed slowly
d) Look left and right and proceed quickly
11. If your turn signal isn’t working, how do you signal that you want to make a right turn?
a) Left arm straight out the window
b) Left arm pointing down towards the ground
c) Left arm pointing upwards
d) Right arm pointing across the passenger seat
12. An emergency vehicle is approaching from behind with lights and siren. What should you do?
a) Speed up so you don’t get in their way
b) Move to the right lane and keep driving
c) Move to the right lane and stop until it passes
d) Continue driving. They will go around you
Check your answers at the bottom of the page. So how did you do? Good driving habits keep everyone on the road safer and may lower your insurance premiums. Contact Foundation Insurance Group to schedule an auto insurance review. Our agents are always happy to review your current policy, answer any questions you may have, make sure you get the proper amount of coverage to protect you, your passengers, and others on the road, as well as every discount you’re entitled to, so that nothing is left to chance.
Answer key: 1a, 2b, 3c, 4c, 5b, 6d, 7b, 8c, 9a, 10b, 11c, 12c